I had my mum stay with me visiting from the UK. She’s 82 and she’s amazing – I realise now how lucky I am to be able to say that, because some people don’t feel like that about their parents – but I do and I really appreciate it and I can see how much strength she has given me. She can’t walk very well anymore and has had a few health issues over the past few years, so she didn’t know if she’d make it out it here again, but she kept a quiet hope inside that she might and she did! It’s that quiet hope that we all need sometimes to keep going when we want to give up.
I can’t tell you how nice it was to have her here. Having lived away from my home country for nearly 30 years, I do miss it and it means the world to me to have her here. My mum inspires me now. She hasn’t done anything that you’d outwardly recognise as amazing or different, but she’s been a steady source of strength and safety for me my whole life and I think that’s pretty amazing.
I’ve always traveled a lot – kinda just taken off really and followed an idea, taken a path and often one that surprises others or one that has not been walked very much. Just coming here from the UK after finishing UNI was a leap into the unknown, but knowing mum was there for me has been a guiding compass and a place to call home (oh no that’s mum’s favourite show!!!) I know that I was able to do that because I always knew I had a safe and solid base to go back to. A bit like a giant landing cushion under a giant hire-wire. It gave me the security to have a go and come back when I needed to – without judgment. Always a big hug and a welcome home where I felt loved and supported.
Being a mountain goat, I have a tendency to carry on regardless, doggedly following a plan even if it stops being fun or stops feeling right. But while I took a step back, I realised a few key things.
- Firstly I needed to let go of the struggle. I have a lot of integrity around what I’m doing and I truly believe in my own philosophies, so I needed to take a leaf out of my own book and LET GO and LET IT FLOW!
- I am committed to living to the principles of my program – but I realise that If I was to truly believe – I would be delivering more of my own creativity to the world. So I’ve been working behind the scenes to create a new platform that’s been a seed of an idea for a very long time! – more about that soon!!!
- I needed to believe in myself more and give my own designs and ideas a place to shine.
If you’re taking a path less traveled, it can get a bit bumpy. We all need to know that someone’s got our back. That we are safe enough to take those steps and that if we fall (which we most likely will) that someone will be there to pick us up, dust us off and see us on our way.
If you’ve got a big business vision or just a big vision – you’re most likely a trailblazer of sorts. Sure, you might not be a born leader or a gregarious type – but you need to cut a track and that means you’ve got to find some strength to take some bold moves. Make some difficult decisions and find your own way.
For me, I have many people that are there for me, that I trust implicitly. I also have methods and rituals that I do that keep me strong and keep me going. This template will help you take stock of what you do, or bring you some new ideas of what you can do, to gather your personal army of supporters that will have your back. Or prepare a list of your own traits and traditions that you can build into a routine to keep you strong.
- WHO’S GOT YOUR BACK? WHO CAN YOU TURN TO WHEN YOU FALL?
- WHO PICKS YOU UP AND HELPS YOU HEAL YOUR WOUNDS AND ENCOURAGES YOU ON YOUR WAY?
- WHO’S THERE FOR YOU NO MATTER WHAT?
- WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU FALL? IF YOU FAIL? IF YOU GET LOST AND CONFUSED?
- WHAT DO YOU DO TO TURN YOURSELF AROUND AND GET UP AND GOING AGAIN?
- WHAT CAN YOU BRING INTO YOUR LIFE TO HELP YOU GET UP AND GOING AGAIN QUICKER?
- WHO CAN YOU FIND THAT WILL GIVE YOU MORE STRENGTH, COURAGE AND DETERMINATION TO FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS?
- HOW CAN YOU THANK OR ACKNOWLEDGE THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT YOU?